Friday, March 13, 2009

Radio, Radio

My favoritest thing, my superhero power if ever I had one, is moving people.
Y'know...stirrin their hearts an stuff.
Gettin em to feel things.
Anything.
Putting raw nerves on the table, of whatever emotion, through a thousand means (wordsoundbeat), and watching people react like they thought they wouldn't, watching people startled by their emotional involvement, watching people get swept away by a heart-tide they never saw comin when they stopped for that last mirror-check on the way out the door...it's the most magical thing I've experienced. And it is absolutely magical, absolutely every time.
I Want To Do That With Radio.
I can do it on stage, spitting or singing.
I can do it with written words.
I want to do it with commonplace objects, with sounds we've come to take for granted.
I wanna make people laugh at stuff they've never thought funny,
cry over what they've previously refused to consider,
get angry at what they formerly ignored,
get smitten like kittens when they thought their hearts were long long dead.

Sounds a little lofty, but, in my experience elsewhere, it's really attainable and really powerful.
I don't wanna bludgeon anybody about the head and shoulders to make them feel,
I just wanna lay it on the table
Just
So.
Wanna find the perfect speed where going fast looks like standing still.
Wanna slip people popping inside those pregnant moments of time where everything is mad chaos and perfect meditation,
is alarmingly full and sweetsoftly clarified.
Like butter.

No comments: